Certified Family Law Specialist
Areas Of Practice
- Dissolution of Marriage
- Legal Separation
- Premarital Agreements
- Postmarital / Postnuptial Agreements
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
- Civil Harassment Restraining Orders
- Modification of Orders
- Post-Judgment Matters
- Parentage Actions
- Property Division
- Consulting in Mediation or Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Hague Actions (Local co-counsel)
- Representation of Children (Minor’s Counsel)
Karlina Paredes was born and raised in the Bay Area, earning her bachelor’s degree from San Jose State University in 2008 and her Juris Doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2011. Ms. Paredes joined Hoover Krepelka, LLP in 2016 as Associate Attorney. She was later promoted to Senior Associate and then in January 2021, was promoted again to Senior Counsel.
Ms. Paredes specializes in contentious custody matters and cases with substantial assets under review for valuation and division. She also handles complex case management, routinely handling all areas of family law, including but not limited to pre- and post-judgment cases, dissolutions, parentage actions, property characterization, valuation, and division, disclosures, income, child and spousal support, business valuations, goodwill, structured buyouts, fiduciary duties, premarital and post marital agreements, stock options, intellectual property, deferred compensation, domestic violence, custody, move-aways, attorney fees and enforcement issues.
She is comfortable in any legal environment, such as depositions, mediations, collaborative dissolutions, settlement conferences, and high-stakes trials in the courtroom, both in public and private courts. The volume and variety of casework she handles has provided her more practical experience than most attorneys have achieved with similar years of practice. She is a formidable opponent and possesses a tactical and strategic approach in which she applies her sharp legal acumen. Ms. Paredes has emerged to become a highly visible and valued leader at Hoover Krepelka, LLP, and within the legal community in Santa Clara County.
In September 2022, Karlina Paredes earned the prestigious status of Certified Family Law Specialist, an honor by the California State Bar bestowed upon only approximately 10% of family law attorneys.
Recently, Ms. Paredes has been instrumental in achieving extraordinary results in a highly publicized custody dispute. In October 2022, she delivered the keynote presentation, From The Conference Room to The Breakout Room: Mediating Amongst Changing Dynamics in a More Diverse World at the Academy of Professional Family Mediators national conference.
In her spare time, Ms. Paredes enjoys traveling and spending time with her family.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 2022
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D. – 2011
- San Jose State University, San Jose, California
- B.A. – 2008
- Major: History
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars: 2021, 2022, and 2023
- Santa Clara County La Raza Lawyers, Former Executive Board and Judiciary Committee Member
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Finance Committee
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Co-Chair, Law Related Education Committee
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
Pro Bono Activities
- Santa Clara County Minor’s Counsel