Constance L. Carpenter
Areas Of Practice
Constance was born in Nebraska and grew up in Bakersfield, California with her parents and 3 sisters. She attended undergraduate at University of California and McGeorge Law School, University of the Pacific. She has a daughter, Juliet and a granddaughter Mabel.
Ms. Carpenter has litigated and settled nearly 1700 marital dissolution, probate guardianship and adoption cases in Santa Clara County, where she has addressed property identification and distribution, determination of child and spousal support and child custody and visitation.
Ms. Carpenter is experienced in representing parents, grandparents, foster parents, children and other interested parties in child custody, guardianship, adoption, and juvenile dependency matters.
Santa Clara County Superior Court Judges routinely appoint Ms. Carpenter as Minor’s Counsel, to represent children in highly contested family law matters involving children, and probate guardianship custody and visitation cases.
She has been highly visible and active in the Santa Clara County legal community and with nonprofit organizations for more than four decades. When she is not working, she enjoys her family, her friends, her garden and traveling.
Honors and Awards
- President’s Pro Bono Service Award, California State Bar, 1988
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Family Law Section Henry Collada Memorial Award, 2011 and 2014
- Pro Bono Project of Santa Clara County: Commendation for Delivery of Pro Bono Services, 1996; Excellence in Volunteer Legal Services 2010; Commitment to Service Award 2012; Pro Bono Service Award 2018
- Legal Advocates for Children and Youth, LACY HONORS Honoree 2006
- U.S. House of Representatives, Certificate of Congressional Recognition, Commitment to Excellence Award, 2012
- Santa Clara County Psychological Association, The Alice Handley-Isaksen Forensics Award, 2017
- Pro-Choice Coalition of Santa Clara County, Carpenter and Mayfield Champions for Choice 1999
- The National Lawyers Guild, Bay Area Chapter, Carpenter and Mayfield, Champion of Justice Award, 2017
- State of California Senate, Certificate of Recognition, Carpenter and Mayfield Thirty Years of Service to the Community 2013
- Super Lawyers: 2022 and 2023
Press Release, Media and Publications
- Trustee, Santa Clara County Bar Association
- SCCBA Chair, Family Law Section
- SCCBA Chair, Minor’s Counsel Subcommittee
- Member, National Association of Counsel for Children
- Member, National Lawyers Guild
- Domestic Violence Intervention Collaborative (DVIC) Board Member and current Chair
- Don Sagatun Edwards Fund for Children’s Therapy, Board Member
- Member Pro-Choice Coalition Santa Clara County