James J. Hoover
Certified Family Law Specialist
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
As a Certified Family Law Specialist, Mr. Hoover represents clients in all aspects of family law litigation, including but not limited to, domestic violence, child custody and visitation, property identification, characterization, valuation and division, spousal support, child support, breaches of fiduciary duties, reimbursement claims, dates of separation, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and related matters. After many years of experience, Mr. Hoover skillfully settles and if necessary, litigates all of these issues.
Mr. Hoover educates, advocates, and acts in our clients’ best interests on these issues. He pays particular attention to our clients’ emotional and financial difficulties.
James J. Hoover attended Santa Clara University, graduating Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor’s degree in accounting; minor in economics, in 1998. In 2001, Mr. Hoover graduated Summa Cum Laude from Santa Clara University School of Law. He ranked 4th in his class of over 200 students, receiving “top of the class” CALI Awards in the following classes: Contracts, Torts, Commercial Transactions, Wills and Trusts, Dispute Resolution, and Criminal Procedure.
Given his experience, expertise, and common sense, Mr. Hoover has facilitated family law matters as a mediator.
In May 2013, James J. Hoover earned the prestigious status of Certified Family Law Specialist, an honor by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization bestowed upon only approximately 10% of family law attorneys. Mr. Hoover is a ten-time recipient (2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023) of the Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for the divorce attorney category. This rare and coveted distinction is based on continuous positive client reviews.He has also been recognized on the Northern California Super Lawyers List since 2021.
Mr. Hoover enjoys spending time with his family, staring at the ocean, traveling, playing his ukulele, and making kahelelani shell necklaces. He has completed 11 marathons, including 9 Napa Valley Marathons with a personal record of three hours and twenty-one minutes at age 37. When not doing the above, Mr. Hoover annually hikes contiguous segments of the Pacific Crest Trail, hoping to walk from Mexico to Canada.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Family Law Specialist, California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, 2013
- California, 2001
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- J.D – Summa Cum Laude – 2001
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Ranked 4th in graduating class of 212 students
- Honors: “Top of the Class” CALI Awards in the following classes: Contracts, Torts, Commercial Transactions, Wills and Trusts, Dispute Resolution and Criminal Procedure
- Santa Clara University, California
- Bachelor’s Magna Cum Laude – 1998
- Major: Accounting
Honors and Awards
- Certified Family Law Specialist, 2013 as recognized by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization; 2013-present
- Avvo Clients’ Choice Award; 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- The Expert Network, Best Child Custody Attorney Office – Santa Clara
- Three Best Rated, Best Family Law Attorney Office – San Jose
- Esteemed Lawyers of America
- Lawyers of Distinction
- 10 Best Attorneys – American Institution of Family Law Attorneys
- Top One Percent – National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Client Champion Silver – Martindale-Hubbell®; 2021, 2022
- Super Lawyers: 2021, 2022, and 2023
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Silicon Valley Capital Club
Pro Bono Activities
- Advisory Counsel, Women SV
Press Release, Media and Publications
- James J. Hoover named to Advisory Board of WomenSV, a nonprofit serving survivors of domestic abuse
- Lockdown split: Bay Area sees spike in divorce filings, domestic abuse cases amid pandemic
- Legalization Of Marijuana: Will it affect child custody cases, and how?
- The Ashley Madison leak: relevant in family court?