Can you ask for more parenting time when you change jobs?

by | Aug 29, 2021 | Child Custody And Visitation

A divorcing couple who shares children may spend considerable time negotiating a custody settlement when they split up or may require court intervention to create their parenting plan. Shared custody arrangements are common, but they aren’t always even.

Although California law does try to uphold the rights of both parents, sometimes one parent has far more parenting time than the other. You may have agreed to give your ex more time with the children because of the demands of your job, or the courts may have given them more parenting time for the same reason.

Being realistic about your parenting and work commitments is important for your family’s stability. Now that you work an earlier shift or have moved to a position that gives you a more regular schedule, could you ask for more parenting time?

The California family courts allow parents to request modifications

After a substantial change to your household circumstances, you have the right to request a modification of your custody order. You can potentially cooperate with your ex for an uncontested modification. The family courts can update your custody order to reflect the agreed-upon changes to your current custody arrangements.

If your ex doesn’t agree to increase your parenting time, then you may need to consider filing for a contested modification hearing. You can present evidence about your changed circumstances, including your new schedule. As long as the judge agrees that more time with you would be in the best interests of the children, they may agree to the modification request.

Updating your shared custody arrangements with a formal modification can help you protect your relationship with your children as life continues to change.

*The above is not meant to be legal advice, and every case is different. Feel free to reach out to us at Hoover Krepelka, LLP, if you have any questions. Information contained in this content and website should not be relied on as legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice on your specific situation. 

Visiting this site or relying on information gleaned from the site does not create an attorney-client relationship. The content on this website is the property of Hoover Krepelka, LLP and may not be used without the written consent thereof.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This