If you need support, then you need to start negotiating

by | Mar 6, 2020 | Spousal Support

If you’re getting a divorce, one thing that might be on your mind is how you’re going to afford to live on your own. You’ve been raising your children while your spouse works, and it’s been your spouse paying for your needs for several years.

You plan to go back to work, but you still need time to build your career back up. Your spouse says he will never give you support because you’re the one who chose not to work. Now, what do you do?

Talk to your attorney about negotiating

To start with, you should discuss your need for spousal support with your attorney. They will talk to you about what the judge would likely order if you went to trial and help you reach out to your spouse’s attorney or spouse directly to discuss the possibility of support. Your spouse may be more willing to cover support payments if they are aware of how much you could be awarded if the case goes before a judge.

Know your needs, but be reasonable

Your needs matter. If you need $300 a month to afford to live in the same quality of an apartment and your spouse can pay it, then that might be what you want to ask for. On the other hand, you also have to be reasonable. Think about what your spouse earns, how much you need and what is a reasonable request that would allow you to live comfortably, even if it’s not quite at the same standard.

Our site has more about alimony and spousal support. If you need it, it’s time to think about negotiating for the outcome you want.

Call or click here to connect today
to schedule a consultation (408) 947-7600

*The above is not meant to be legal advice, and every case is different. Feel free to reach out to us at Hoover Krepelka, LLP, if you have any questions. Information contained in this content and website should not be relied on as legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice on your specific situation. 

Visiting this site or relying on information gleaned from the site does not create an attorney-client relationship. The content on this website is the property of Hoover Krepelka, LLP and may not be used without the written consent thereof.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This